t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk

Unemployment Benefits: Eligibility

February 28, 2007

Question written on 28/02/2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to what UK benefits A2 and A8 nationals who become unemployed are entitled .

Answered by James Plaskitt

A8 and A2 nationals who become unemployed may be able to access income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA(IB)) provided they are looking for work. In order to qualify, they generally must have worked legally for at least 12 months. If eligible for JSA(IB), they may also qualify for housing benefit and council tax benefit.A8 and A2 nationals who come to the UK to look for work or who have worked for less than 12 months cannot normally access benefits. This is because their right to reside in the UK is subject to them being self-sufficient.