t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk


March 18, 2002

Question written on 18/03/2002

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what plans the Government have to initiate reform of the housing benefit system, with particular reference to the single room payment.

Answered by Malcolm Wicks

We have a strategy for reforming housing benefit (HB) and dealing with the legacy of neglect we have inherited.To help promote work incentives, we have broadened the definition of the single room rent from 2 July 2001 to reflect better the type of accommodation available in the market to young single people. Our aim is both to ease the problems faced by young people in getting and maintaining accommodation, and encourage landlords to rent to young adults.