t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk


January 9, 2003

Question written on 09/01/2003

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what her Department is doing to support the Government’s policy on accreditation.

Answered by Alun Michael

The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is recognised by my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry as the sole national body for the accreditation, against international standards, of certification and inspection bodies, testing and calibration laboratories. Defra uses UKAS accreditation services whenever it is appropriate to do so.