Bishopsgate Institute Gets Facelift
June 9, 2009
The world-renowned Bishopsgate Institute is to undergo a transformation to enhance its position as an educational meeting place for city workers, constituents and visitors to the capital. After securing a £1.5 million cash injection from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Institute hopes to refurbish its space and introduce further facilities that will herald a new chapter in its 113-year history.
Mark became patron of the Institute last year and headed over to the City this morning to discuss the renovation plans with Chief Executive, Andrew Fuller, Chair of Trustees, Michael Mansel and Heritage Lottery Chair, Wesley Kerr. The first phase of the work will see the lower ground floor turned into a studio space with new library facilities and an archive store. The second phase will introduce a new café and give the Great Hall a facelift.
The Bishopsgate Institute first opened in 1895 and has been meeting the needs of generations of people since. The library offers free access to its world renowned collections on London, the labour movement, free thought and co-operation.