t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk


November 19, 2009

Mark has no influence over legal disputes and cannot get involved in them owing to the strict separation of the judiciary from the legislature. He has no power to overturn convictions or court rulings.

If you are dissatisfied with how the courts handled your case, or were mistreated by a member of the court’s staff, you can make a complaint.

Who can you complain to?

You can complain directly to the customer service officer or the court manager at the court where your case was heard. Court staff may try to resolve your complaint there and then. The names of court officials and court addresses will be displayed in court, and printed on leaflets displayed in every court office. The address of the court will also be in the phone book.

If you prefer to complain in writing you can write to the court manager. State what you are complaining about, given the name of your claim and the claim number (if this is relevant to your complaint), give as much detail about your complaint as possible, and say what you would like the courts to do to put things right.

If you are not happy with the court manager’s response to your complaint you can write to the group manager. You should enclose a copy of the court manager’s reply.

If you are still not satisfied, enclose all previous correspondence and contact the Court Area Manager. Click here