t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk

The European Union

November 19, 2009

If you feel that an EU institution or body has treated you unfairly or abused its powers you can make a complaint. You should be advised that such matters fall within the jurisdiction of your Member of the European Parliament, not your local MP.
The European Ombudsman investigates complaints against the institutions and bodies of the European Union (EU). You can complain to the Ombudsman about maladministration in the activities of these institutions and bodies.
The European Ombudsman cannot investigate complaints against national, regional or local administrations in the Member States, even when the complaints are about EU matters. Many of these complaints could be addressed to national or regional ombudsmen or committees on petitions in national or regional parliaments.
Contact details for all national and regional ombudsmen and committees on petitions in the EU and further information on making a complaint are available on the European Ombudsman’s website: http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu