t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk

Postal Service

November 19, 2009

If you have a complaint about Royal Mail, please contact the company direct:

If your complaint is about a postal operator other than Royal Mail, please contact that operator direct.

Further assistance:

For independent advice or guidance contact Consumer Direct. Consumer Direct is a government service for clear, practical and impartial consumer advice. Consumer Direct can let customers know how to progress a complaint if you are dissatisfied with the company’s response. You can contact Consumer Direct:

If your complaint cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, the licensed postal operator can issue a ‘deadlock’ notice that will allow you to ask the independent postal redress scheme to investigate your case. The independent postal redress scheme will only investigate complaints about products and services provided by postal providers under their operating licence. Although this scheme is not operational until 1 October 2008, it will be able to accept cases that have reached deadlock before this date.
If your complaint is about a non licensed product and you remain dissatisfied with the licensed postal operators response to your complaint you should seek independent legal advice. Consumer Direct can provide further guidance.

Further information:

  • Postcomm’s series of downloadable factsheets on key issues in the mail market includes a brief guide to making a complaint about your postal services provider.
  • If you are making a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act, please see guidance on the Information legislation page in the Legal framework section of the site.