t: 020 7219 8155 e: fieldm@parliament.uk

Category: Finances, Employment and Consumer Affairs

  • February 2, 2016

    Bank of England and Financial Services Bill [Lords]

    Mark Field: I will be neither as discursive nor as time-consuming as my right hon. Friend the Member for Chichester (Mr Tyrie), but he made some important points. Even before 2008, banking was one of the most highly regulated industries. Although I agree that ideally we need to move towards a much more competitive world […]
  • November 19, 2009

    Problems with your Employer

    Unfortunately Mark is not able to get involved in disputes with your employer. These will have to be resolved legally if necessary.
  • November 19, 2009

    Benefits Payments – JSA, DLA, tax credits

    If you think a decision about your benefits is wrong, you can ask the office that made the decision to explain it. You can also ask to get the decision reconsidered...
  • November 19, 2009


    The Pensions Ombudsman investigates complaints and disputes about the way pension schemes are run.
  • November 19, 2009


    If you have a tax problem and you are an employee, you may be able to get help about a tax code or PAYE from your employer.
  • November 19, 2009

    Postal Service

    If your complaint is about a postal operator other than Royal Mail, please contact that operator direct.
  • November 19, 2009

    Consumer Affairs, inc telephone problems

    As an MP, Mark has no influence over the conduct of individual companies towards their customers. However a website has been set up to advise people about how to make...